Subject: Re: Recompiling NetBSD including kernel
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 09:20:19
> Would it have been any faster to cpin in the files and (gunzip | tar xf)
> them?

Yes.  That's one reason I'd like to ditch the MacOS install utility and
do it all from NetBSD...

> I am assuming that a simple (cd /usr/src;make world) or similar will build
> everything, and thus magically transform me from 1.1A to 1.1-current.

# cd /usr/src ; make build

> Should I rebuild gcc first, so that the whole tree is recompiled with the
> newest version of gcc?  Would this be (cd /usr/src/gnu/gcc2;make install)?

You should.  There are, in fact, instructions for this, too:
# cd /usr/src/include ; make install
# cd ../gnu/gcc2 ; make
...this will grind for a while and then die in building libgcc if you're
   compiling with 2.4.5.
# make install ; make ; make install
...the second make will succeed.

It's much easier to install Steve's latest tarballs to get you the
current compiler...  'make build' will do a 'make clean' and 'make depend'.
On my IIcx, the entire 'make build' takes days.

> Do these files include the basic kernel source?

Nope.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **