Subject: Serial buggedness with heavy nfs/ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 15:33:29
 Booting my Sun causes some heavy nfs activity, and when I'm using 'cu' to
log into sci.fi during that, a problem appears if I have lots of new mail:
while 'nfrm' on sci.fi is running and nfs is going, after a while the data
coming from the serial port comes in blocks (pause-lots of lines-pause).

 The problem appears after nfrm completes: my machine appears to be sending
lots of ^G:s (it looks like newlines, but sometimes a long row of ^G appears
among the shell prompts (^G in zsh causes a newline usually)). This goes on
for ~20 seconds, then the connection just gets stuck and I have to restart
the modem to get back to the terminal server (this is a leased line) (I can't
try 'break' to get back into the terminal server because it seems to be broken
in cu).

 I think this started after I upgraded into a kernel with the new serial driver.
But this might as well be a cu bug or elsewhere in the kernel.

man cu says:
BUGS
       This program does not work very well.

 The kernel is:
OpenBSD kremvax 1.2 OpenBSD 1.2 (KREMVAX) #1: Fri Jan 26 18:38:07 EET 1996     vuori@kremvax:/mnt/home/vuori/openbsd/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/KREMVAX mac68k

--
America!! I saw it all!! Vomiting! Waving! JERRY FALWELLING into your void
tube of UHF oblivion!! SAFEWAY of the mind --