Subject: Re: LCII terminal errors
To: Geoffrey Alexander <geoffrey@worf.netins.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1996 21:12:08
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Geoffrey Alexander wrote:

> Attemps to either clear the last line on the terminal or scroll the screen and
> WRITE to that line or a new screen, I get a looped message:
>
> --> vm_fault(116000,6b95000,1,0)
>
> and the machine hangs...

snip>

> Oddly, I can do anything in multiuser mode that takes less than a screen to display;
> also, when I try to use the Booter to put me directly into multi-mode, I get the
> above 'vm_fault' message when the boot text reaches the bottom of the FIRST screen.

<snip?

> Any thoughts, anyone?

One thought pops into mind when I see something to do with virtual (swap)
RAM (vm).  How big is your swap partition (and how much memory do you have
in real RAM)?

Make sure that it's at least double the size of physical RAM (and of course,
make sure you do have a swap partition) and make sure you built devices
after you created the swap partition.

Those are the only things that come to mind right off the top of my head.

Good Luck,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |