Subject: Re: Syquest EZIDrives
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1996 12:49:58
On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

> David Gatwood wrote:
>
> >The symptoms are:
> >
> >Drive works for small file operations (an exact number was determined, I
> >think, but I don't remember it offhand).  Larger operations such as an
> >"rm *" in a large folder, or anything else involving medium-to-high drive
> >activity, causes the kernel to spontaneously crash.  The drive activity
> >light stays on throughout.  The only solution appears to be a reboot.  I
> >don't have access to a system with an interrupt button, so I can't test
> >that.
>
> Actually this is a problem with many SCSI drives, not just Syquests.  My
> Quantum 730 also exhibits this behaviour under heavy drive activity.  I
> think that this particular bug in the SCSI driver was discussed on the
> mailing list a month or two ago.

Well, there was a long thread about Zip Drives and getting them working
and woeful tales of attempts with the EZ135... :-)

What about the pre-1.1 SCSI driver?  Has anybody tested that with the
EZ135?  At least that would limit somewhat the section of code to check
for the problem (if the old driver crashes, it's code that they share, if
it doesn't, it's something that changed in the upgrade).

Any thoughts?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |