Subject: Re: Linux on PDS PowerMacs
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Nick STEPHEN <stephen@gr.osf.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1996 17:13:26
>Does/Will the Mach microkernel run on the PDS PowerMacs - the {5,6}{2,3}00
>series?
>
>My understanding of these machines is that their architecture is fairly
>like the NuBus powermacs, so it shouldn't be too hard.
>
>If this project is unclaimed, then a) who should I write to about it and b)
>is there anyone else out there willing to help me sort it out.

I don't know all the numbers of the different PowerMacs. The reference
page for what will be supported and in what priority is at

http://www.mklinux.apple.com

I _believe_ that we'll be supporting all 'true' PowerMacs - ie. those
that aren't upgrades from 68K macs. Once we've got the code out there
you're more than welcome to look at it/improve it. In fact, we will
actively encourage people to do so, and plan to merge in improvements.

>Secondly (ish) is the project looking for alpha or beta testers?  I am sure
>there are quite a few willing testers on both these lists....

Yes, there are *lots* of willing testers - I'm getting drowned in
emails. The answer is that we have all the alpha-testers we need, and
what we put out will have already gone through that stage. When the
code goes out, I expect it will go out to *everyone* to run, test and
improve.

                [ Nick ]
--
Nick Stephen		     Web:   http://www.gr.osf.org/~stephen