Subject: Re: enscript (nenscript)
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1996 21:19:35
[Discussion of partial success w/ StyleWriter deleted]
> - Is there an example of another gs driver that needs _two-way_
> 	communication with the printer?  (The serial protocols the
> 	StyleWriter uses are STRANGE.  No flow control is the least
> 	of it.)

I think that you should just be generating an output file in gs.
Set the system up so you use indirect queuing; the gs output
goes into another queue. Make the second queue use an input
filter that understands the weird handshaking of the printer.
This way, you can also dump a large file of text, or graphics
from a different computer, to the printer w/o problem. So
the gs driver would not add the handshaking-request commands;
the filter would.

> - What's the best way to set up a printer driver that needs to run
> 	the serial port at 57600?  Last time I looked, lpd had a list
> 	of speeds supported in printcap entries, and 57600 wasn't in it.

Check again. Well, check in -current. :-) I started a bit of a holy war
on one of the technical lists, and out of it, I found that 1.1
supports :ms=: entries in printcap. The man-page, however, didn't
mention the changes. I think (hope) that 57600 is a supported speed.

> - What's the best (or any) way to plug a printer driver into gs that
> 	needs to have the graphics rasterized (at 360dpi, if it matters)
> 	before it can do anything with them?  I came up with a way that I
> 	think will work, but it looks like a kludge to me, so I think
> 	maybe I missed something.

Rasterized? I don't understand your question, because I thought gs
currently did what I think rasterizing means. You get a big block
of pixels, no? The driver then has to deal with sending the
pixels out as it needs to. ??

Take care,

Bill