Subject: int'l kbd support with X11?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1996 03:06:01
Hi list,

here's another of those questions concerning X11:

How do you make up a correct mapping for an international
{i.e. non-US} keyboard?

I've got the X11 User's Guide (v3) on my desk (you were right,Ken...)
and I'm working my way through the xmodmap doc. Exchanging y and z was
no problem, reassigning the <shift>-level of the top key row wasn't
either.
Things began to look more difficult when I tried to access keys on
the <alt>-level.
>From an .xmodmaprc for a German Amiga kbd I expected this to be possible,
but I can't seem to put it to work on macBSD X. I am talking about chars
like  \|~{}[] - the German layout of the Macintosh keyboard puts all of
them on the <alt> level. From what I've seen in the  kernel sources the
kernel supports only three key tables: standard, ctrl'ed and shifted.
Does this have something to do with my problem?

As this is the main reason why I continue to use dt instead of X11
any help would be most appreciated :)

	hauke