Subject: Re: X.950912 error msg: /dev/grf2 not found...
To: Rick Niles <niles@axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1996 09:52:44
> I'm running NetBSD 1.1 on a Mac IIsi.  XMar95 works
> great but X.950912 gives me an error message like:
> /dev/grf2 not found

As root, mknod /dev/grf2 c 10 2

> Now I have a second video card (other than
> the built-in video, both set for 1-bit video)
> A RasterOps ColorBoard 208.  Under XMar95 it uses
> /dev/grf0 and /dev/grf1 I believe... Is this a bug then??

Not exactly... or it depends on one's point of view.  The X server
tries to open as many a display as it can find.  If its attempt to
open a device fails with the error code ENXIO (Device not configured),
it thinks there's no more display attached to the system.  If it fails
with any other error code, it thinks there's a fatal error in the
device (even if the device doesn't exist, like in this case).  Maybe
it should be fixed.... but how?  It'd be much easier and cleaner if
there was a ioctl() call to determin the number of displays on the
system.  If the fix is to continue on ENOENT, then we may be going to
hear cries for help like "I can't use my third monitor on X"...
Hmm...

ken