Subject: Re: 1. still won't boot right & 2. ideas for creators of netbsd
To: John Ostrowick <jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1996 10:15:53

> 1.
>
> i boot it single user mode as root fine. but it's read-only. ok, i can
> handle that. problem is, if i go into multi-user mode, it automatically
> runs a whole load of daemons and then gets stuck looking for a link file
> which doesn't exist (or some such error).
>
> ok. presuming i can enable read/write root access by using
>
> mount -a'u'w /      (or whatever)

I think "mount -o w /" should work. I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm
wrong. :-)

> as advised, i then have the problems of
> - how to edit the etc/rc that's running all those daemons,
> - as well as seeing which of the etc/rc's is doing it,
> - as well as finding out why it hangs in a loop trying to resolve some link
> file.
> Any suggestions?

Yes. more will show you the scripts. Watch the boot process and get a
better feel for this link file you're having trouble with. Find which
commands get run successfully, and look from there.

> 2.
>
> would the guys who do netbsd for mac please do the following:
>
> - make a booter program that actually *does* save its prefs. i get really
> annoyed resetting boot vol scsi id to 0 from the default of 5; no matter
> how many times i click on save, it just doesn't save. I'm sure we all have
> our internal boot volumes set to 0. I'm sure most of us would rather keep
> the thing on the internal hard disk instead of some arbitrary external
> drive (which we might not necessarily have).

Uhm, there's a save option under the file menu.

> - make the thing stop asking me for root shell and terminal type when i
> boot in single user mode (currently the only mode that boots to a shell). I
> want to be able to set this somewhere that it always reads. I presume this
> is in the normal etc/rc and .cshrc and etc/passwd, but i can't edit them
> and ain't sure that they *are* there and not in the kernel... Correct me if
> these are not the places to look.

I think this behavior is set in the init program (/usr/sbin/init or
/sbin/init). This behavior is common across all NetBSD platforms.

It usually defaults to the correct values if you just hit return (vt100
and csh).

> - make an a/ux mounter for the macos so i can mount the a/ux partition and
> see what is on it and more importantly, be able to edit the files in bbedit
> because i **HATE** "vi" and it's the best you get under unix.

Are you volinteering? :-) I admit I've thought about this same idea,
but it's on a back burner for a while. If someone could get the source for
the MountImage CP, we'd be off to a good start. :-)

> I'd really appreciate help with this.
> TIA

Hope this helps.

Take care,