Subject: Re: Partitioning?
To: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1996 19:37:37
Nicholas Riley (nriley@tiac.net) writes:
>This new serial driver sounds great - I tried to do PPP through my SE/30 by
>connecting one port to a 28.8 modem using PPP, then running slirp off the
>other port to my PowerBook.  I was lucky to get 300 bps ftp's through that
>convoluted setup...heh.  Hopefully I'll find an ethernet card for the SE/30
>that's cheap enough sometime, that way I can ease up the load on the serial
>ports a little and maybe get the 1 modem/2 computer thing to work.

Don't give up hope.  It can work.  I have an SE/30 with ethernet
connected to a 7500 (and a couple of other machines), and I regularly
use it as a firewall with a pretty standard ppp account at my local
ISP.  The slightly wierd part is getting all of the proxy stuff set up
right, since I only get one valid IP address.  I ended up calling the
local ethernet "net 127.0.x.x", and setting up socks (for Netscape),
the "plugboard daemon" from fwtk(?) to forward pop connections for
Eudora, and a caching nameserver (with names for local machines like
"gate.localnet") on the SE/30.  I also turned _off_ packet forwarding
with sysctl.  It all worked great (aside from the serial buffer
overflows), and I was building a kernel to try the new serial driver
fixes, when somehow I crashed the NetBSD machine and scrambled
something in the filesystem.  After removing the files in /usr/bin that
had suddenly become randomly numbered device nodes (?!?!?) and doing a
partial reinstall from a snapshot on eskimo, the system consistently
hangs after between 30 seconds and about 5 minutes in multi-user mode.
*sigh*.  Back to 1.1.

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                      monroe@teleport.com