Subject: New ADB Test Kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1996 09:43:29
Hello all,

There is a new version of the ADB test kernel available at:
<ftp://ftp.microserve.com/popaccts/h/jpw>

PLEASE read the appropriate ADBTEST.xx.txt file in that directory
before you use any of the kernels!

In order to be able to keep all these different kernels separate, this
kernel (and subsequent ones from me) will be named "ADBTEST #xx" instead of
"GENERIC #xx".

ADBTEST #77 is totally redesigned from the netbsd.11.28 kernel. This version
is much more interrupt based, and so does not have to spend as much time
with interrupts off. Also, it has framework included to support other types
of ADB hardware, although currently only the IIsi-series ADB hardware is
supported. I am working on support for II-series ADB hardware at this time.

Another advantage to this kernel is that if it doesn't know which type
of ADB hardware your machine has, then it skips the ADB setup. This way,
machines that mostly work, except for ADB support, may still be able to
boot the rest of the way and be somewhat useful by using serial login. Please
see the ADBTEST.77.txt file for more info.

Details of ADBTEST #77:
   Based on kernel sources pulled down about 1/25/96.
   Should work on IIsi, IIvi, IIvx, P600, ClassicII/P200, LCIII/P450.
   May work on Color Classic, LCII/P400/P405/P430, LC575/P575/P577/P578,
      Q605/LC475/P475/P476.
   It will NOT work on II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, or SE/30.
   It will NOT work on ANY Powerbooks.
   Reading and writing to the PRAM/RTClock does NOT work, but it gets the
      time from the Booter. (This should be fixed soon)
   Skips ADB setup if unknown or unsupported ADB hardware.
   Includes the recent serial fix and recent scsi fix.

Details of ADBTEST #78:
   Same as ADBTEST #77 except:
   ALWAYS uses IIsi-series ADB hardware support, regardless of machine type.

You can gunzip the file (using MacGzip or whatever) in MacOS and then cpin
it into the NetBSD partition using the installer. Remember to not overwrite
a good bootable kernel. Alternatively, you can gunzip the file, leave it in
MacOS and tell the booter where is it and what it's name is.

For those who requested source of this so you can build your own kernels:
I am working on a short writeup on how to apply these changes to the official
sources and should have something ready in a few days. I will post to the
list when it is available.

Please let me know what successes and failures you may have.

	--John
          jpw@insoft.com

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504