Subject: Limited success -- I want more!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Milo Sharp <milo@somunix.uafsom.alaska.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1996 11:49:50
	I've got a kernel booting in multi-user mode, programs running, and
life is happy.  (This is on a IIci with 20 megs of RAM, but may be
bounced around from computer to computer sometimes.)  Right now, it's
running on an 80 meg drive, which has forced me to limit my swap space
drastically (it's at 16 megs right now), but I'm buying a 212mb which I
plan to use for it in the future.
	I'm new to unix configuration, and I'm having some trouble getting
the networking up and running.  If anyone has some time to spare to help
step me through it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
	Is it possible to run DT to offer different terminals for logging
in?  It seems like when I run it it simple spawns off several other
processes under my account, when what I would really like is to see each
screen with a "login:" prompt.  Is it possible?
	Also, the Meta-FAQ mentions that Pine has been ported.  Where can I
get a copy of this?  If for no other reason, Pine includes Pico, a text
editor much better than the VI I've been using.
	Congrats to the crew!  I've been following the progress, off and on,
since the summer of '93 ('94?  I can't remember) and it's progressed from
about half a shell to a fully working OS.  I'm looking forward to the
PowerPC port...  =)  (I know you don't have any plans for it, but I
suspect you'll get to it someday.)
	My own personal computer is a 7200/90, and although I'm only an
amateur programmer, I think I understand enough to grasp some of the
problems in the port to that machine.  On the other hand, it seems like
the Alice group might fare better skipping the original NuBus PowerMacs
in favor of the PCI-bus ones when you do decide to make the switch.  PCI
is well-documented, and FreeBSD already supports it, which might make
things easier.  As far as getting it running in emulation, would it be
possible to hook into the Mac ROMS like you did with the ADB problem?

---

Milo (Michael) Sharp
milo@somunix.uafsom.alaska.edu
http://icecube.acf-lab.alaska.edu/~fxmcs/
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."