Subject: Re: Partitioning?
To: the boogeyman <boogeymn@psyber.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1996 22:29:29

> I have Silverlining. Will this work for aux partitioning? Also, i know i
> need a root&user partition and a swap partition. how much should each be
> (im willing to give up 4-500mbs of my gig) and do they need specific names?

How big do you want?

A good est. for swap is 2x physical (though this number can be something of
a holy preference). I have 20 meg w/ 9 physical.

100 meg would get you going for a root partition, but depending upon
the toys, you'll want more. My setup is ~100 Meg for my root partition,
and ~350 Meg for my USR partition. I actually have the whole instalation
in my root partition (NetBSD is much more svelte than some of the pro
UN*X's we have in lab :-)  ), with my kernel compilations, ghostscript
work, and more in the usr partition.

Naming of the root partition only matters if you have two of them.

Take care,

Bill