Subject: Re: thanks but...
To: John Ostrowick <jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1996 10:32:48
On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, John Ostrowick wrote:

> Thanx to everyone who helped me get past the initial problems. It turns out
> that part of the problem was that 32bit mode was off. My next problem is
> this now:
>
> it gets to /etc/rc, i see it running thru it setting up various daemons,
> until it gets to a point in etc/rc where it says
>
> "can't find linked command sd0" (or something like that), and it repeats
> this about 20 time, then gives up and hangs. Does this mean that some
> linked file in /dev/ is missing? If so, how on earth am i going to replace
> it? I can't see the aux partitions from macos.

This sounds like a "forgot to build devices" problem.  If I'm remembering
right (my mind's a little scattered right now) sd0 is the SCSI driver for
your internal hard drive.  Linked command would be referring to a hard
link for the sd0 file somewhere other than the original install
location, most likely /etc or /dev, though I again my mind isn't here
enough to remember the details.  Try rebuilding devices.  If that doesn't
work, you might reinstall the base package or etc package, someone please
follow up and say which one has devices in it, etc.

Sorry about the run-on sentences.

Are you starting up single-user or multiple user?  If multi, you need to
start up single the first time and fsck the filesystem.  And you
shouldn't be starting up any daemons in single-user mode.

Ergo, first try starting up single user.  If that fails, rebuild
devices.  If that fails, then consider a partial reinstall.

Hope this endless sentene helps as it goes on and on and on and on and....

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |