Subject: SCSI woes
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Hawley <hawley@mv.us.adobe.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1996 21:13:14
I've installed NetBSD on a Mac LC III with the 1.1  John Wittkowski ADB Kernel

The LC III has 10M ram, an internal 200M MacOS drive and an external
Conner 1.05G drive partitioned into 400M Root, 32M swap, 500M User, and
78M MacOS.

I can boot in single-user mode, but things are fragile: I get the following
message frequently:
sd1(ncrscsi0:6:0: illegal request, data = 00 00 00 24 00 14 00 00 00 00 00

This _seems_ to happen on writes.  When booting in multi-user mode, various
processes core dump and I eventually hit a kernel panic in ff_alloc().

I can induce this message by simple operations:
vi a file, add a line, wq out
create a directory them rmdir (can remove with no error using rm -r).

Any clues would be appreciated.  I'd really like to get this machine up.

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as
simple as wild dogs."  -- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey