Subject: Re: Mac IIci freezes when networking
To: Steve Weiss <srw@hvcn.org>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1996 04:56:51
>I am running into a problem that I suspect has been discussed earlier, but
>I cannot find any information on it despite aggressive searching.
>
>I boot into NetBSD on my IIci in my office and it comes up OK. I configured
>networking and that starts OK. I can then telnet in or out. Everything is
>wonderful.
>
>This lasts for 2-5 minutes and then the system freezes and isn't so
>wonderful any more :-(  I am certain that the lockup is related to ae0, as
>if I leave the interface unplugged into the net, the system stays up
>indefinitely. This is how I did all the configuring, in fact. I want to run
>httpd on it for the office intranet though, so I am looking for ideas.
>
>My interface card is a 3Com EtherLink NB card.
>I thought that this was compatible with the apple cards and thus was
>supported so I went ahead with this, but I can't find it listed explicitly
>anywhere. I doubt it is the cause of the problem, as I suspect if it
>weren't supported I would never have gotten as far as I did. (Please check
>my logic here.)

This is the same problem I have with this card, and the Focus ethernet
card, on my MacII. The only difference is that I don't get the 5 minutes, I
crash immediately.

Just another bit of information.

If you find out anything, I'd sure like to know !

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                                (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                                 bsalai@servtech.com
Two State Street
Rochester, NY 14614