Subject: Re: MacII RUNNING!! (but.....)
To: Tank <Tank@pg.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1996 10:48:06
Yea! It works!

> The only problem that remains is:
>         I'd like to run the machine headless, but booting fails without a
> monitor attached.... I can boot with the monitor attached, and then unplug
> it, but that causes problems when remotely rebooting the machine (as the
> monitor is then not attached)....

Booting fails? It shouldn't.  :-(

You can get adapter units to let you hook VGA monitors into a mac. they
fake out the sense pins, so the mac thinks it has a known monitor on the
other side, even if it doesn't. Plug one in, and you should be set.

> Any ideas on how to fix this?  Also, is anybody working on fixing the 50mhz
> accellerator ADB problem with kernels later than Oct23?

Just an idea, but doesn't Apple have global variables which say how many
instructions/sec a machine can run? Like howmany dbt's (or is it dbf?)
per sec, etc? If they are calculated on boot, then we could sense how fast
the machine really is, and adjust the timing accordingly, no?

If they are just copies of a ROM value, then never mind.

Take care,

Bill