Subject: Re: X still won't boot :-(
To: Jason Green <jtg@bbs.ausom.net.au>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1996 09:47:45
> I haven't had a chance to fetch and re-compile xterm, but I did try
> commenting it out of all the init files it appeared in (~/.xinitrc).

Actually, I doubt about the problem with xterm.  I'd never seen anyone
complaining about the xterm that comes with the X.  In fact, it just
runs fine on my SE/30.

> When I try running X in single-user, I get a message that it can't open all
> listening sockets (or something like that), and it gives up.

Ur... I think that's because your root device is mounted in read-only
mode.  I don't see much point in running X in single user mode, anyway.

> When I try to run in multi-user (as root), some message scrolls off the
> screen really quick --- so quick I can't read it!  I've tried the things
> I've heard on this list, including:- ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib, running
> the new and old Xmacbsd (the old works better), not running xterm, and
> more.

Was it you who had "Xmacbsd" line in xserverrc?  It might help to delete
the file altogether.  Also, put .xinitrc file at your home directory,
which might read something like this:

xterm &
twm

In this case, your X session will be terminated when the window
manager (twm) exits.  If you want the session to end when you log out
of xterm, use the following .xinitrc:

twm &
xterm

Remember, X ends when the last command in your .xinitrc exits, and
you should NOT have '&' on the last command in the .xinitrc file.

I strongly recommend all X users read Vol.3 of O'Reilly's X series
(the big ones with the large X mark on the cover).  Everything you'll
ever want to know is in there.

ken