Subject: Re: Idiot at work
To: Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) <kbosto1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1996 17:12:38
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) wrote:

> Alright everyone forgive me for asking another dumb question but how do I

The only dumb questions are those not asked...

> get my cdrom to mount. (seemed easier on the sgi)

SGI's follow standards, and Apple tends not to.  That could be part of the
reason.  Do you have the CDROM drive turned on when you build devices with
the installer?

> once X has started I get the crosshatch screen and then the Big X cursor
> in the screen and it moves so nothing is locked up yet...(I hope)
> but nothing everhappens past here...

Do you have anything in your .xinitrc file?

> I know that I must need some config files some where... I put a directory in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit but don't have the slightest clue if the file
> that I created for .xinitrc is valid or not and if anything else needs to
> be in here for x to run properly...
> what is in .xinitrc is
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm &
> exec twm

I don't know if BSD requires this, but at my school, you have to also
have an ".xsession" file.  I just link that file to my ".xinitrc" and
everything works fine.  Try that and if it doesn't work, I dunno.

Also, make your .xinitrc file executable (chmod a+rx .xinitrc)...  Good luck!

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/