Subject: Re: Daystar ADB problems
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
From: None <smtp@cyber1.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1996 02:03:10
To: jpw@insoft.com (John P. Wittkoski)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:15:38 -0500 (EST)
From: "Brad Salai" <bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com>
Cc: port-mac@netbsd.org

> Brad,
> Normally, when using the Daystar in the Mac II in MacOS, is there a special
> INIT or anything that has to be loaded for certain devices (serial, ADB?)
> to work properly?

John,

Thanks for responding. There is a control panel, but I tried restarting
without it, and there was no change. It lets me turn the cache off and on,
and enables/disables some sort of math routine acceleration. I run em both
off when I am using NetBSD.

> The reason I'm asking is that I would assume that the problem is simply
> the current kernels (which use the ROM ADB routines) don't take into
> account the increased speed of the processor and therefore timeout before
> the ADB data returns during startup.

The boot sequence correctly identifies the keyboard and mouse, I'm not sure
if that is what you meant though.

> Is the working kernel you have (the Oct 23rd kernel) MRG based? That is, do
> you see a message during boot regarding the Mac ROM Glue?

The working kernel and the current kernel both report:
mrg: ... Macintosh II class roms .. rom glue...

or something quite similar. Here is the whole thing:

Well, actually not, for some reason elm on the machine I'm on uses emacs,
and I don't know how to get dmsg :(

let me know if you need anything more, and thanks for the help.

Brad