Subject: Re: IIcx won't boot
To: jeff schindall <jeff@wave2i.nrl.navy.mil>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 21:30:00
On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, jeff schindall wrote:

> I don't mean to sound critical, but this symptom appears all to often for
> new users.  Could the maintainer of the booter package add a flag that only
> allows booting if 32bit addressing is on?

Wouldn't be too hard to write, if we can get the detect consistent.  I believe...
about three or four months ago, amidst the native booter discussion, we couldn't
find a good way to check...  or was that figuring out how much memory you have?

Of course, if you can prove that it's in 24-bit mode,
you could call swap_MMUmode, and probably throw mode32 in your recycling bin.
Oops... that's Windows 95.  Sorry.

Since swap_MMUmode was put in originally to allow A/UX to run on systems without
true 32 bit addressing... I would be rather surprised if anything else
was required for NetBSD.  I suspect most of Mode32 is simply patching the
MacOS to ignore the system.  Not certain, though.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |