Subject: Re: IIsi and Syquest
To: Rosencrantz's <deanr@oz.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 21:33:44

>  I have a couple questions, Ive looked at the web site for mac bsd, and I
> want to clarify a couple of things.  First of all, is it true that a IIsi
> can only be used over a slip or serial tty terminal?

Most certainly not! I'm writing this message on my IIsi running NetBSD. :-)
The problems were solved by a couple of persistent souls in May.

>         The other question I have is in regards to the new EZ135 drives
> from syquest.  I read the syquest how-to faq but I dont know if that
> includes the 135.  Also, when I load the mkfs utility it comes up with
> different numbers for the cylindars and other parameters often.  I got the
> drive specs from syquest but much of the information required by the mkfs
> program was not included.  Can you boot from the 135, and if so does anyone
> have the required numbers?

Someone probably has the numbers, but you can probably make up something
close. The numbers don't need to be exact, they just need to give you
the right amount of space. Years ago, before scsi, these numbers were used
to tune performance quite well. With scsi, though, we loose the knowledge
of where a sector is (which track, which head, which sector-in-track).
In fact, some drives (I doubt the EZ135) actually varry the # of sectors
per track, so mkfs wants useless numbers. YMMV.

>         Thank you very much, Im sorry if these are repeat questions, Im
> sure they are, I tried to look for more info but the server that seems to
> have all the info, puma, has no DNS entry(acording to my computer anyway).
> I would really appreciate any asistance I could get, thankyou.

puma is "puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us". Make sure you spell it right. I often
got it wrong before I got it memorized. :-) It's IP address is:
198.82.200.98

Take care,

Bill