Subject: Re:Booting in Color was
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 13:23:50
On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Brad Salai wrote:

> The bug manifests itself as a failure to respond to adb devices after
> booting on MacII's with Daystar 68030 accelerators. I have it, and I think
> it is common to all users with the accelerator. The kernel boots fine, and
> in my case runs fine from a terminal, just won't work at all with the
> console keyboard or mouse. Allen suggests that this same bug has appeared
> before, and has been fixed, but has reappeared in kernels subsequent to Oct
> 23, the last one that I can use with the console. If I can give you any
> more information, let me know and I'd be glad to.

Brad,
Normally, when using the Daystar in the Mac II in MacOS, is there a special
INIT or anything that has to be loaded for certain devices (serial, ADB?)
to work properly?

The reason I'm asking is that I would assume that the problem is simply
the current kernels (which use the ROM ADB routines) don't take into
account the increased speed of the processor and therefore timeout before
the ADB data returns during startup.

Is the working kernel you have (the Oct 23rd kernel) MRG based? That is, do
you see a message during boot regarding the Mac ROM Glue?

Thanks for the info.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504