Subject: Re: LinuxPPC for PowerMac ??
To: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1996 01:05:06
> Does anyone have an address for Apple (e-mail/snail mail) that the user
> community could use to try and perswade Apple to release this info.

Instead of that, please visit
	URL:http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/openmac/500.html

We're attempting to collect a list of people who would buy PowerMacs if
they could run a free unix-like OS on them.  We're hoping to get some
support from them and getting your names on this list will be much more
constructive than any one-on-one communique.

Here's an announcement that Matt Slot put together.  I think it may have
already been posted to linux-ppc.  I'm not quite sure--I was gone for a
week and am wading through the >500 messages that arrived while I was
gone...

-allen

>From: matthew j slot <fprefect@alumni.engin.umich.edu>

In order to gauge public interest in a free OS for the Mac (NetBSD, Linux,
etc), we have started a tally to count how many people would buy a Mac to
run one. Our goal is to present a list of at least 500 consumers who want
(and will spend money on) an OpenMac OS to the appropriate group within
Apple.

The best way to convince Apple to invest time and money into supporting
the OpenMac projects is to promise future support and revenues. Imagine
if Apple contributed $20 or $50 from each promised sale toward the effort.

I have recently been in contact with parties at Apple who have recognized
the interest in NetBSD and Linux, and are willing to "champion" our
cause to the real decision-makers. To this end, they have requested we
assemble facts and figures that will persuade not only the technical
minded, but also the management and sales/marketing people.

In addition, I am currently gathering information about prevalance of
these Operating Systems are at work, at home, and across the Internet.
Please mail me any pointers to good Linux or NetBSD advocacy items or
figures.

How can you help? There are several ways:

    * You can get more information about the Linux for PowerPC and
      MacBSD projects at: <http://liber.stanford.edu/linuxppc/> and
      <http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/macbsd/>

    * You can help us petition Apple by adding your name and commitment
      to buy a Mac when it supports an OpenMac OS. Check out the current
      list, and add your name at
      <http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/openmac/500.html>

    * You can contribute your time and expertise to developing
      hardware drivers or as a consultant to the OpenMac teams. For
      more information, check out the OpenMac homepage at
      <http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/openmac/>

    * You can send mail to <fprefect@umich.edu> with your MacBSD and Linux
      usage statistics. I don't need testimonials about how excellent
      the software is, but facts and figures to convice both the technical
      and the economic-minded managers at Apple. Percentages and numbers
      go alot further than pleading.

If you are serious about helping, the time has come. No more complaining
about the situation, make a contribution!

Thanks for your support,

Allen Briggs, <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>, MacBSD Dude
Daniel Puertas, <dpuertas@nic.com>, Linux for PPC Coordinator
Matt Slot, <fprefect@umich.edu>, OpenMac Administrator