Subject: Re: various troubles
To: None <canfield_rw@MIKE.LRC.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1996 11:55:10
I'll see what I can do to help w/ some of these problems.

> I am currently running on:
> a IIcx
> 17meg ram
> 40meg root, 200meg user, and 40meg swap
>
> I have receintly perchased and hooked up a HP DESKWRITER 660c and saw some
> info on trying to get it to work...  After putting the 1.1 binaries
> I have put in the rc.local file:
>    `stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts`
> that was posted by someone on the mailing list here a couple weeks back...
> The problem is that the print job seems to go through the print queue system
> correctly, but when it gets sent across to the printer, the printer brings up
> a sheet of paper, acts like its doing some kind of printing (the head moves
> back and forth) and then spits out the paper (occationally haveing 5-10 random
> characters printed about 1 in. down the page on 2 consecutive lines), it will
> grab and feed through 1 more paper with out doing anything... Any ideas?

Hmm. I'm the person who posted the stty fix. I don't really know what's
wrong for you, but I have suspicions.

Are you using the serial-patched kernel? If not, you'll have problems.
Actually, there is a long-standing bug in the kernel (not in the mac
part) which recently got fixed. Basically echo never got turned off,
so the status byte the printer sends would actually get re-sent to the
printer. On my printer, they come out as white-on-black 'D's.

The way to check is to just run NetBSD w/ the printer on. If, after a while,
it prints stuff by itself, you have the echo problem.

A new kernel will (I've been told) be released soon. I have one in my
puma directory which works on my IIsi. Your Milage May Vary. It's in
/private/wrstuden/ on puma.

> I was also wondering if anyone had any success with a practical peripherals
> 14.4 modem of which I am haveing quite a bit of trouble.  As far as I can
> tell it is doing everything correctly, just not diplaying anything to the
> screen (like the local echo is off or some such thing).  Attempting to
> login in to a remote acount (guessing what input is required when) the RX/TX
> (recieve/transmit data) lights seem to coinside with the correct amount of
> info I would expect it to be sending (relative to each data transmision...
>  Any Ideas here?

It's not supposed to be local-echoing, AFAIK. The remote should do that.
Does it print anything on your screen?

> The last piece of hardware that I am haveing trouble with is the CDROM
> drive.  It is a 2 speed cdrom drive that I got through clubmac... It regesters
> as a nec cdrom on the boot...  With the 1.0 binaries and kernel it worked
> ok.  It mounted and everything.  When I moved to the 1.1 binaries the
> cdrom would no longer mount... I used the:
>    `mount_cd9660 -o rdonly /dev/cd0d /cdrom`
> and it returned with a device not configured (I don't suppose its as simple
> as the device numbers being changed is it?).

Try /dev/cd0c. xxXd is a port-i386-ism. Also make sure there's a cd0c
in /dev. I don't think the "make devices" installer command did it
right for me.

Take care,

Bill