Subject: This worked for me/IIsi (Was: Booting my IIsi bomb seriously)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bjarne =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4ckstr=F6m?= <Bjarne.Backstrom@abc.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1996 03:38:41
On Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:34:12 -0600 (CST), The Great Mr. Kurtz wrote:

>Also worth noting (I'm really confused as to who has which system now),
>only some systems will even boot in color.  The IIsi is one of the few,
>as I understand it.  Based on a previous post, however, X-Windows won't
>run except in b/w (crashes) even on the IIsi.  The IIci won't even boot.
>Don't know about other systems.  If anybody has any info on this, send it
>in here.  I think several ppl would be interested -- esp. ppl who are
>trying to get color X working.  That'd be a good list to put in an FAQ list
>somewhere, too.
>
>Comments, anyone?
>
> /---------------------------------------------------------------------\
>|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
>|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
>|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
>|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
> \---------------------------------------------------------------------/

I haven't had time to work much with NetBSD lately (no X yet) but I think
that every piece of info could be of great value. Could we just start with
something simple like "This worked for me":

My machine:  Mac IIsi
             Nubus/FPU
             Internal video, 13" Apple Standard RGB Screen
             9 MB RAM
             Virtual Memory: OFF (No Ram Doubler etc.)
             Disks:   SCSI#0, Internal Quantum Lightning 730S
                      SCSI#6, External Fujitsu M2614S
             System 7.1

NetBSD:      mac68k 1.1 distribution kernel on external disk
             booter 1.9 "under the apple"

Booting
preferences: X Single User
             X Extra debugging info
             X Auto-size RAM
             X No env dumps
             Kernel Location: NetBSD/mac
             Kernel Name: netbsd
             Partition Name: BSD Root
             Root SCSI ID: 6

Problems:    None

Installed software other than delivered with distribution: None

Installation procedures on "extra" software": N/A

----

.. something like that. Of course, it would be nice if we could collect all
such information into a info-sheet for each machine type.

Regards,
/Bjarne.