Subject: Re:Booting in Color was
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1996 18:03:53
>On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Bjarne =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4ckstr=F6m?= wrote:
>

>> >it works! It works fine, but it's very slow... But I think I'll crank up the
>> >memory to at least 16 megs.
>> >
>> >Regards/Michael
>> >

>> It's much faster if you run it with "1-bit" black & white video.
>>
>> M v h,
>> /Bjarne.
>
>Also worth noting (I'm really confused as to who has which system now),
>only some systems will even boot in color.  The IIsi is one of the few,
>as I understand it.  Based on a previous post, however, X-Windows won't
>run except in b/w (crashes) even on the IIsi.  The IIci won't even boot.
>Don't know about other systems.  If anybody has any info on this, send it
>in here.  I think several ppl would be interested -- esp. ppl who are
>trying to get color X working.  That'd be a good list to put in an FAQ list
>somewhere, too.
>
>Comments, anyone?
>
> /---------------------------------------------------------------------\
>|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
>|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
>|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
>|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
> \---------------------------------------------------------------------/

I have a MacII with a Daystar accelerator and it boots fine in color, and X
even runs without crashing, but the display is broken, shows up as 6 (I
think) small images in a row along the top of the screen. You can't read
them, but they react normally to inputs from the keyboard and mouse, that
is you can type, pull down menus and like that. This suggests (to me) that
color support might not be all that difficult.

I can't resist a plea for a fixed 1.1 kernel that doesn't have the ADB bug
with the Daystar accelerator. I'm stuck at Oct 23 and none of the new fixes
I read about are useful. I realize that mine is an unusual configuration,
but the ADB problem was fixed once, and it seems like it could be unbroken
again.

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Fax    (716) 262-3906

Rochester, NY 14614                           Home   (716) 377-4624