Subject: Re: mounting a drive
To: Adam Forsyth <forsytad@martin.luther.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1996 19:06:44
> I have BSD on my powerbook 165.  I'm using a custom kernel, and access it
> through a terminal (adb isn't quite working yet from what I'm told).  I
> have my unix partition on a Syquest EZ135.  When the sytem boots into
> single user, the root partition comes up as read only.  Refering to the
> faq, i tried mount -u / at the prompt.  It states that
> ufs: /dev/sd2a on /: specified device doesn't match mounted device.
> Booting in multi user gets errors, and then reverts to single user with
> read only partition.
>
> The question is:  How to I make my root partition read write.
> do I need to edit fstab?
>
> ps. I'm kind of a newbie to unix so please try not to talk too muck over
> my head on your

Well don't stoop when we're talking! :-)

It sounds like you either installed NetBSD on the cartridge from another
machine, or you have a CD rom drive.

You do need to modify /etc/fstab, and there are two ways to do it.

First, watch the boot up to the point where you get the shell prompt. When the
EZ135 gets identified, which drive is it? sd1 or sd2 or sd0? Probably sd1 as
you have an internal drive, and sd2 doesn't work. :-)

Either:

1) Manually type "mount -rw /dev/sd1a /"

2) Use the installer to copy /etc/fstab out to MacOS, edit it, and copy
it back in. Note: the end-of-line characters are different, so the
text'll look weird in the Mac editor.

Good luck!

Bill