Subject: Re: User Survey - New features!
To: Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) <abam@delu.utm.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1996 19:44:08
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) wrote:

> I seem to remember seeing a MachTEN ad that had a web browser in one of
> the X-Windows.  Anyone know if there's a port for MachTEN for Mosaic?
> Would it work on NetBSD?  Is there a Sun 3 port out there or something?
> HP 68K? AUX  Apollo?  Must be something close for a NetBSD mac. . . .

I know there's an X-Mosaic out there, but I don't know about a mac port.
If you've ot it in source, it shouldn't be too hard.  Now if it's
binaries, you're probably stuck.

> Of course if anyone's got NetScape's source code.... ;-)

That brings up an interesting point.  Does anyone know of a C
decompiler?  I know that there are disassemblers that convert into
assembly language, complete with dummy labels, dummy variables, etc.,
even going so far as to replace known macintosh equates with their text
names.  Is there anything like that for C?  Even really trashy label
names like label.1, label.2, etc. would allow recompiling on a different
platform.  Any thoughts on this?  I know it would be technically illegal
to reverse engineer commercial software, but there's a lot out there in
binaries that's not commercial but doesn't have source code available.
Besides the possible/probable legal ramifications of distributing
binaries for other platforms, does anybody have any thoughts on this? (URL's
for programs of this type would be nice B-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |