Subject: Re: Trouble adding extra disk
To: Kelly Campbell <camk@homer.spub.ksu.edu>
From: Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) <abam@delu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1996 11:14:29
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Kelly Campbell wrote:
> I've had the darndest time adding another external disk the last two days.
> My basic problem was that I couldn't partition it like I wanted to. I tried
> everything I knew to do with disklabel, the disktab file, etc. Nothing would
> work. I could write a label to the drive, but that label just would never
> get loaded into the kernel's in-core copy like the man pages said it should.

I had similar problems.  Finally, I wrote my own disktab file, wrote a
disklabel and ran newfs on the drive.  I too tried to write to "c".  I
wound up with a "custom" geometry--i.e. one that didn't work perfectly.
I could only get 62MB out of the 80MB drive.  This was probably due to
"imperfections" in my disktab entry.

The best advice I got was to re-format the drive and repartition it using
APS, but calling it a USR partition.  I did that, ran makefs (MACOS util)
on it, and was able to mount it from with NetBSD with a simple:

mount /dev/sd1g /opt

It behaves fine now.  I'm not sure that I like this solution because it
forces me to use the MacOS side of things, where appropriate UN*X utils
exist; however, it works and is painless.

> One other thing I noticed while trying to figure this problem out is that
> sdXc has to be the whole drive, and this is hard coded into NetBSD, so if
> you try to set up custom partitions, make sure that you keep c as the whole
> drive.

This was another lesson to me. . . .it explains why I managed to wipe out
my entire 540MB drive while trying to add a 150MB "free slice 3" to an
existing ROOT & USR (100MB) and MacOS (250MB) drive.  Wrote the disktab,
ran newfs unsuccessfully on /dev/sd0c and got the blinking diskette when
I rebooted ;-)

Duh, time to start over--but I needed to go from NetBSD 1.0 to 1.1 anyhow.

This stuff should go in the FAQ, since it's a bit peculiar to some UN*X
users, I would think.  Particularly the bits about AUX filesystems.
Though I did read:

  "The c partition often refers to the entire disk as a whole, including
   areas that should be accessed only by the kernel (such as the
   partition information at the beginning of the drive).  Thus, on most
   BSD-based systems, the c partition is never used in commands."

In the O'Reilly Essential System Administration book.

Well, verbiage grows to fill the page and I must apologize.

Adam

Adam Nicol Delu                                              Omnes-Houston
Web Information Group            A Schlumberger / Cable & Wireless Company
tel: 1 713 513 3249                             5599 San Felipe, Suite 400
fax: 1 713 513 3126                                      Houston, TX 77056
e-mail: delu@houston.omnes.net                                       U.S.A.