Subject: Trouble adding extra disk
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kelly Campbell <camk@homer.spub.ksu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1996 04:06:06
I've had the darndest time adding another external disk the last two days.
My basic problem was that I couldn't partition it like I wanted to. I tried
everything I knew to do with disklabel, the disktab file, etc. Nothing would
work. I could write a label to the drive, but that label just would never
get loaded into the kernel's in-core copy like the man pages said it should.

Finally I checked the kernel sources, and found the problem. In the file
/sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k/disksubr.c the setdisklabel function has all it's
code disabled with an #if 0 ... #endif.

I'm sure that was put in there for a good reason, but after taking those out
and starting up with the new kernel, I can partition the drive like I want,
so that function seems to work fine.

One other thing I noticed while trying to figure this problem out is that
sdXc has to be the whole drive, and this is hard coded into NetBSD, so if
you try to set up custom partitions, make sure that you keep c as the whole
drive.

Later,
Kelly
--
| Kelly A. Campbell         |    Kansas State University  |