Subject: Re: IIci woes (was Re: Does 1.1 work with IIci?)
To: Mark D. Fitzsimmons <macfitz+@pitt.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1996 19:58:59
On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Mark D. Fitzsimmons wrote:

<snip>

> I guess that was my initial question.  As far as I can tell, none of the
> kernels is individually documented except with cursory comments about unix
> internals that I have no knowledge of.  So, to rephrase the question: which
> kernels work with a vanilla IIci-internal video? (And do the other binaries
> have to match the version of the kernel?)

Should be GENERIC #50.  That cured the last of the bugs.  The only
thing left to work out is that IIci's *must* (at least according to a
response letter I got on a previous post) be set to b/w.

Do the other binaries have to match the kernel version?  In a word, yes.
1.0 binaries should not generally be used with 1.1.  You can probably get
by without reinstalling manuals if you want to save time.  Likewise, you
can keep the old compiler if you don't want to bother with that, although
you might want to upgrade the includes.  In don't know on that one.  But
as a minimum, intall the base package and a kernel.

	Before you do, though, use the installer to rename the /etc
directory to something like /etc old, cd into /usr and remove
anything by hand that's part of netbsd (in bin, etc, dev), the same for
the root level bin, etc, and dev.  Then install base11.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |