Subject: Re: User Survey - New features!
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Shawn Pearce <spearce@injersey.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1996 14:00:42
At 10:46 PM 1/8/96, "The Great Mr. Kurtz " <davagatw@mars.ut wrote:

>If I were you, I'd recommend either a checkbox to turn off push or a
>check in your program to comfirm Mozilla 1.1 or greater.  I haven't
>checked to see if you've already done it, though.  Lynx probably wouldn't
>like push too much, along with AOL's web browser, Mosaic, everybody else's
>specialized web browsers....  Netscape's push feature is okay if the client
>can handle it, but make sure you check.

Already did.  Its just that I wasn't doing the push to netscape's liking.
I assume that if the browser is Mozilla, it'll support what I want.  By
this point if they don't have 1.1 or >, then its their own fault.

>> > The edit form is sorta ugly - everything is either a select list or a
>> > textarea or a text entry box.  The HTML isn't great, but I'm working on
>> > that.  If a brave soul wants to tackle how to get a radio button/check box
>> > interface to work, please email me!  Also, if you use a select multiple box
>> > (like on the add form), but don't select something, when you send it back,
>> > that field will be blank.  Thus, you could easily erase your CPU by
>> > forgetting to select it when you edit.  Anyone know of a way around this
>> > beside making it a regular select-popup?
>
>Is the interface program in C?

Heck no!  Me?  And C?  Its in Perl.  What else would I do it in?

>There's a program out there called cgiemail that you might look into, for
>programming ideas on checkboxes, etc.  BTW, just don't make the computer
>selection a select multiple box.  I mean you asked for separate entries
>for separate systems anyway.  :-)  Unless there's something particularly
>bad about coding standard select-popups.  If anything, I'd think they
>would be easier to code.  Also, if it is possible, set the default value
>of select popups to the existing item.  If not, set it to an item called
>no change and have your cgi program keep the old values for anything
>marked no change.

The battle is that, how do I pick the one that should have a "checked" in
it?  I guess if I worked on it for a while I could do it, but I haven't
really bothered.  Its up, and it works.  Now its time to (as i feel like
it), clean it up on the user side.  Right now, I have a seperate file for
each HTML segment that is sent in the edit (one per field), and I just do a
"s" in perl to find the string "!!!value!!!", replace it with the value in
the DB, and look for "!!!english!!!" and replace it with the more human
friendly value.  Thus, its quick and dirty.  To do checkboxes, I'd have to
store a coding of how to make them, and then make some routines to make
them.  Not hard to do.  Actually easy, its just that I'm sorta lazy to do
that just for checkboxes on the silly form.  Maybe later.

No, I feed them the 1st item in the list as the old value.  That way they
can see what they had in there, and then if they want to, change it.  The
no change would be easy, but I don't like that for an interface...

They are.  But, what happened was we wanted a select multiple for astetics.
Don't even ask.  It was decided a while back that that was easier to read.
On the edit I use a regular select.

>If there's anything I can help with, let me know.

Watch out when (if) puma ever sends MacBSD -WWW.  A lot has been sent to
the list in reply on this thread, and I think its going to snowball soon.
(Unless Alan has deleted the list.)  I have yet to get something from it.

Shawn.

#  In Jersey: The Digital Information Network of the Garden State    #
#      Freelance HTML/Graphics/Programmer                            #
# http://nj5.injersey.com/~spearce/  ###  http://www.injersey.com/   #