Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 on IIsi?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1996 18:40:12
> When I try the for.paul kernal on puma, as suggested by Mr. Briggs, I get
> the following trace:
>
> <snip>
>
> I've already mailed this info to Mr. Briggs, but I was just wondering if
> anyone else has gotten 1.1 to run successfully on a IIsi, or if anyone can
> give me any suggestions.  Unfortunately, I don't understand what those
> errors mean, so don't even know what to look for.

> My system:  68030 IIsi, 17M RAM (1M for internal video, so I tell NetBSD I
> have 16M), NuBus Adapter w/FPU, 40M internal (MacOS) drive, 105M external
>(NetBSD) drive.

Well, I'm the "Paul" that that kernel was built for - and I assure you it
does work on a IIsi (I'm just chasing some weird SCSI problems with one of my
drives, and Allen built the kernel to do some testing). I think the problem
lies in the fact that you are telling the booter you have 16Mb RAM. This is
an old idea that worked with pre 1.1 builds, but breaks on 1.1 and -current.

Make sure you are using a current booter (1.8 or optionally 1.9) and let it
choose the RAM size for you. I haven't got a Mac near me at the moment, so I
can't check the rest of the config. I'd also make sure you have B&W video
(1 bit) set, if you plan on using X, and 32 bit addressing on, NO Virtual
memory.

Hope this helps!
--
   /\/\     Paul Ripke