Subject: Re: User Survey - New features!
To: Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) <abam@ohwig01.houston.omnes.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1996 22:46:33
On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> > Problems:  (Anyone know how/willing to help, please reply to this!)
>
> I'll take a swing at it, Shawn.
>

> > I tried to get server-push to work with Netscape so that while you are
> > searching, you can get back real time progress.  However, it doesn't work.
> > So, for the time being, I have turned that off, but, if anyone knows how to
> > get it to work, please email me!  (Basically, the code works, but the MIME
> > doesn't.)

<snip>

If I were you, I'd recommend either a checkbox to turn off push or a
check in your program to comfirm Mozilla 1.1 or greater.  I haven't
checked to see if you've already done it, though.  Lynx probably wouldn't
like push too much, along with AOL's web browser, Mosaic, everybody else's
specialized web browsers....  Netscape's push feature is okay if the client
can handle it, but make sure you check.

> > The edit form is sorta ugly - everything is either a select list or a
> > textarea or a text entry box.  The HTML isn't great, but I'm working on
> > that.  If a brave soul wants to tackle how to get a radio button/check box
> > interface to work, please email me!  Also, if you use a select multiple box
> > (like on the add form), but don't select something, when you send it back,
> > that field will be blank.  Thus, you could easily erase your CPU by
> > forgetting to select it when you edit.  Anyone know of a way around this
> > beside making it a regular select-popup?

Is the interface program in C?  If so, drop me a copy of the source.
There's a program out there called cgiemail that you might look into, for
programming ideas on checkboxes, etc.  BTW, just don't make the computer
selection a select multiple box.  I mean you asked for separate entries
for separate systems anyway.  :-)  Unless there's something particularly
bad about coding standard select-popups.  If anything, I'd think they
would be easier to code.  Also, if it is possible, set the default value
of select popups to the existing item.  If not, set it to an item called
no change and have your cgi program keep the old values for anything
marked no change.

If there's anything I can help with, let me know.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |