Subject: Duo 230 -the Continuing Saga
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/1996 11:39:56
>> I was able to verify by writing some garbage on the screen that the
>> booter starts to copy the boot code into low RAM, but never completes.
>> If I only copy a small part of the buffer (say, 800 bytes) it will
>> get to the next line (which is where I copy junk into the vram).
>> If I attempt to write the whole buffer, however, it never finishes the
>> copy operation.
OK, this was due to the fact that I was using virtual memory.  Is there a
way to force a particular application to *always* load into real RAM so
I don't have to reboot and change the memory setting every time I reboot?
Or how about  a way to disable virtual memory without a reboot?

>> I will be narrowing down the exact limit ofhow many bytes may be copied
>> unless I can getsome advice to do something more fruitful.  Like maybe
>> putting an assembly code program into the buffer instead of the BSD
>> kernel that does some externally visible stuff?
Now that it appears to be getting past the copy code, I'm trying to
make the kernel show some sign of life.  I inserted a line "flags|=0x000F0000"
before the asm code , hoping that that would cause some gray bars to show
up.

As always, suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Rich