Subject: Re: ... Booting 1.1 on IIci hangs ... addendum
To: None <sparta@imsa.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1996 15:27:34
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996 sparta@imsa.edu wrote:

> Thus spake Matt Clarke:
> >
> > I forgot to mention, I DID build devices AFTER installing the software.
>
> Strange.  What INSTALL doc said not to build a filesystem on your 'swap' partition?
>
> I seem to remember needing to do this as part of the install process.  After
> all, doing this device build would put the swap file system in your fstab.

If you mkfs the swap partition, the fs will just get overwritten by the
system.  The swap partition is inserted into fstab by the installer
automatically when you do a build devices the first time.  If you didn't
have the swap partition created before your first build, it won't make
the fstab list unless you go to the mini-shell and do an fstab -force.
That will recreate the fstab file complete with the entry for the swap
partitition.

IIci's are notorious for not working with the NetBSD11 kernel.  Look
around wherever "current" binary snapshots are found and get a copy of
the most current GENERIC kernel (#45 or 55 I think?) or get an NFS?
kernel.  These have some change made that fixes the problems with the
IIci if I understand right.  Give it a shot.  BTW, what's the IP address
of www.netbsd.org?  I've found two systems on opposite ends of the
country, neither of whose nameservers respond when I ask for the system.
Anyway, look at http://www.netbsd.org for locations to look for the
file.  I'd look myself, only... no nameserver response.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |