Subject: Re: Booting 1.1 on IIci hangs, what'd I do wrong? (newbie)
To: Matt Clarke <mdclar00@mik.uky.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1996 11:42:44
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Matt Clarke wrote:

> I have a IIci, 8Mb RAM, cache, internal video, 540Mb internal hard disk,
> ZIP drive (which I won't use w/ BSD), one button apple mouse, and apple
> extended keyboard II.  Pretty standard stuff.

<snip>

> I made the needed partitions as follows:  a 20Mb Swap and a 100Mb Root&Usr.
Fine so far, though you may want to add a separate Usr partition to
increase your space availability, esp. if you want to run any server
software like HTTPd or POP3, etc.

> I built a file system on the Root&Usr partition, the INSTALL said not to
> make one on "Swap".

> I downloaded all of the 1.1 files (base11, comp11, etc11, games11, man11,
> misc11, netbsd11, and text11) from the IAstate mirror.
>
> Using installer 1.0 and booted with system 7.1, I installed these files (my
> scsi drive id is 0 as it is the internal HD).  The installer seemed to
> crash when run under system 7.5.1.

It works fine on my PowerMac 7100 under 7.5.1.  Try increasing the memory
in the installer's about box.  That's been causing problems for a lot of
people.

> When I attempted to boot with booter 1.8, I got a PRAM error along the way,
> so I reduced the RAM size in "Booting" to 7Mb and the boot process gets
> past that point just fine now.

That's the problem.  Don't change the RAM size.  It can cause crashes.
Don't worry about the PRAM.  That's just the system telling you it
doesn't think it would be safe to save data to the battery-backed memory
(thus preventing it from resetting your system clock, and that's about
it).  The current kernels get confused if they don't have all your memory
allocated to them.

> My problem is this.  The boot proceeds all the way to
> "Automatic Boot in Progress, Starting File System Checks"

> and then it just hangs.
>
> In the Booting... dialog, I set the scsi id to 0 and told it the partition
> name was "UNIX Root&Usr slice 0" which is what Installer says the partition
> is called.
>
> If I boot in single user mode, it gets to asking me which shell I want to
> use or just hit return for sh, so I hit return and then it hangs.  I tried
> /bin/csh, it also hangs with this.

Just me or does it sound like you forgot to build devices in the
installer?  Oh yeah.  a IIci.  Forgot.  You'll need the new GENERIC #45 ?
kernel or an NFS kernel.  I don't know where you can scrape them up, but the
standard kernel has problems on IIci's.  That really should make the next
edition of the FAQ.

BTW, does anyone have an up-to-date list of the locations of all
ten-trillion FAQ's for the Mac68k port?  If so, please send the list to
the mailing list.  Thanks,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |