Subject: Booting 1.1 on IIci hangs, what'd I do wrong? (newbie)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Clarke <mdclar00@mik.uky.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1996 02:02:02
Hello guys...

I have a IIci, 8Mb RAM, cache, internal video, 540Mb internal hard disk,
ZIP drive (which I won't use w/ BSD), one button apple mouse, and apple
extended keyboard II.  Pretty standard stuff.

Here's what I did...

I made the needed partitions as follows:  a 20Mb Swap and a 100Mb Root&Usr.
That is two partitions in addition to my MacOS partition which was
something like 420Mb.  Anyway, I made these partitions with the APS
utility, the partitions are called "Swap" and "UNIX Root&Usr slice 0".

I built a file system on the Root&Usr partition, the INSTALL said not to
make one on "Swap".

I downloaded all of the 1.1 files (base11, comp11, etc11, games11, man11,
misc11, netbsd11, and text11) from the IAstate mirror.

Using installer 1.0 and booted with system 7.1, I installed these files (my
scsi drive id is 0 as it is the internal HD).  The installer seemed to
crash when run under system 7.5.1.

When I attempted to boot with booter 1.8, I got a PRAM error along the way,
so I reduced the RAM size in "Booting" to 7Mb and the boot process gets
past that point just fine now.

My problem is this.  The boot proceeds all the way to

"Automatic Boot in Progress, Starting File System Checks"

and then it just hangs.

In the Booting... dialog, I set the scsi id to 0 and told it the partition
name was "UNIX Root&Usr slice 0" which is what Installer says the partition
is called.

If I boot in single user mode, it gets to asking me which shell I want to
use or just hit return for sh, so I hit return and then it hangs.  I tried
/bin/csh, it also hangs with this.

Can anyone help??  I looked around as many places as I could, but I never
saw any documentation about this particular problem.  It would seem to me
that maybe I have just forgotten something or I have messed up in the
booting dialog?  Thanks for any assistance.

Matt Clarke

--
Matt Clarke   KE4RWB  ||
mdclar00@pop.uky.edu  ||          "Wherever you go, there you are"