Subject: Re: MacBSD on Powerbook 230 (fwd)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/1996 09:40:03
Forwarded message:
> > OK, I've verified that  it actually does get at least  as far as calling
> > harry().
>
> That's a good start...  That means that it's probably getting to the
> jump into the kernel.  Take a look in machdep.c.  There's a function
> there called gray_bar() that's ifdef'd out these days.  You can include
> that function and then put "jbsr gray_bar" into locore.s to trace where
> you go from there...  It's painful, I know...  You can also, of course,
> call gray_bar() and gray_bar2() from C--I expect you're hanging in
> setmachdep() or something like that...
OK, I'll look into that after I get a serial terminal hooked up and try
to boot that way.  But how would hte gray bars work unles the console
is working?

> > I also don't have an FPU. I would think that the video drivers would have
> > to properly configured for a Duo, also.  It's also been suggested that the
> > 230 might also have different kind of MMU.
>
> The MMU isn't different, and the video drivers should just need a couple
> of variables that can be had from the booter.
??? Had from the booter?  is this something I should compile in, or are
you saying that the booter is supposed to recognize my video type?

> Are you booting with or without serial console enabled?  The serial
> might be different enough on the Duo to throw a wrench into that...

I'm booting with a Mini-dock attached, which I hope makes the serial ports
look "normal" to the CPU.

I wonder if there would be a way to make a kernel that would "run" under
the finder, just enough that you could use it to veriofy hardware
configurations, etc?  Not that I need that capbility myself, but
might be a useful idea for someone else?