Subject: Re: MacBSD on Powerbook 230 (fwd)
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1996 13:22:05

>On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Richard Ervin wrote:
>>The mouse pointer just hangs.
>
>That's probably right at the point where the kernel takes over the video
>display/adb/etc.  Try connecting another computer/terminal or something
>to the serial port and see if you can get anything to work off a serial
>console.  If that works, it's a start.
How far can I expect to get using the GENERIC kernel with no FPU?  I've
been trying to get a non-FPU version of the kernel via this forum, but
so far nobody has volunteered one.

>>>Try the for.dgatwood kernel on puma (ftp puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us
>>It wasn't there.
>>Where can I find a tar utility?
>
>you can archie -s suntar (or a substring search under Anarchie) or
>
>try ftp://nisc.jvnc.net/pub/Mac/Utilities/Compression-Decompression/
>         Suntar_2.0.5.sit.
>>
>Refresh my memory.  What processor is that?  an 030 or an 040?
>Regardless, I don't believe the MMU implementation is too different.
>Some changes, but nothing drastic.  The FPU isn't going to be a problem
>for much longer.  I believe Mr. Briggs said that there were still a few
>bugs to work out of the emulation, but that means that it's in the later
>stages of development.  I believe the difficulties lay primarily in the
>display, the adb, and the SCSI interface, at least with the internal
>drive, if I'm remembering correctly.
Duo 230
68030 33 MHz
640x400 @ 16 colors
4MB RAM
MacOS 80 MB at SCSI 0
one serial port named "modem/printer"

with the Minidock
2 normal Macintosh serial ports
second 640x480x256 display available (Can be mirrored)
ADB
external SCSI interface
A/UX 80 MB at SCSI 3
FDHD Floppy Disk Drive

Maybe an external display would make a difference?  Hooking up a serial
terminal will be a bit of a pain.  I think I can set up my Mac Plus with
a 6.1 boot disk and a serial terminal emulater (Zmodem).  What serial
port settings would I use? I would guess 9600 N81.

>There's another question.  There's so much trouble with the one type of
>internal drive (IDE?), what if the systems that use that type of drive
>connected an external drive and booted NetBSD off that?  Or is there a
>drastic difference in the interface as well?  Has anyone tried this?
I'm pretty sure that my internal is a SCSI.