Subject: Re: MacBSD on Powerbook 230 (fwd)
To: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1996 11:38:51
On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Richard Ervin wrote:

> > Ought to at least get the kernel loaded and give an error message saying
> > that nothing's configured.
> The mouse pointer just hangs.

That's probably right at the point where the kernel takes over the video
display/adb/etc.  Try connecting another computer/terminal or something
to the serial port and see if you can get anything to work off a serial
console.  If that works, it's a start.

> > Try the for.dgatwood kernel on puma (ftp puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us
> It wasn't there.
> Where can I find a tar utility?

you can archie -s suntar (or a substring search under Anarchie) or

try ftp://nisc.jvnc.net/pub/Mac/Utilities/Compression-Decompression/
         Suntar_2.0.5.sit.

> I also don't have an FPU. I would think that the video drivers would have
> to properly configured for a Duo, also.  It's also been suggested that the
> 230 might also have different kind of MMU.

Refresh my memory.  What processor is that?  an 030 or an 040?
Regardless, I don't believe the MMU implementation is too different.
Some changes, but nothing drastic.  The FPU isn't going to be a problem
for much longer.  I believe Mr. Briggs said that there were still a few
bugs to work out of the emulation, but that means that it's in the later
stages of development.  I believe the difficulties lay primarily in the
display, the adb, and the SCSI interface, at least with the internal
drive, if I'm remembering correctly.

There's another question.  There's so much trouble with the one type of
internal drive (IDE?), what if the systems that use that type of drive
connected an external drive and booted NetBSD off that?  Or is there a
drastic difference in the interface as well?  Has anyone tried this?

Just throwing out some thoughts and information as best I can.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |