Subject: Re: MacBSD on Powerbook 230 (fwd)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/1996 20:42:07
> >   I have a Duo 230 that I am trying to use.  The installation procedure
> > gets along very nicely, but when I attempt to boot the whole thing hangs
> > after telling me that it is going to do so.
>
> How far does it get in the boot process?  Does it get past the malloc
> stuff?  If not, it may not be configured right in the booter.
OK, I've verified that  it actually does get at least  as far as calling
harry().

> > Admittedly, I have not installed any of the the Base11 distribution, only
> > the kernel, but I would have thought that it would at least BEGIN to boot.
>
> Ought to at least get the kernel loaded and give an error message saying
> that nothing's configured.
The mouse pointer just hangs.

> Try the for.dgatwood kernel on puma (ftp puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us
It wasn't there.
> /outgoing/briggs/for.dgatwood) if it's still there.  As for the booter,
> just the standard 1.8.  The real person to contact about this, though,
> would probably be Allen Briggs.  He's got some kind of PB actually
> working.  Mine's got some weird SCSI problem and no FPU, so I couldn't
> fix the problem.  Are you trying to boot off a copy of NetBSD11 on a
> MacOS Partition or an A/UX Root & Usr partition?  If you're booting off a
MacOS, for now.
> MacOS partition, make sure you decompress and untar the distribution, if
> necessary.  (If you drag it to stuffit expander and it goes to work
> gunzipping, it, grab a copy of suntar or something and extract the real
> file.)
Where can I find a tar utility?

I also don't have an FPU. I would think that the video drivers would have
to properly configured for a Duo, also.  It's also been suggested that the
230 might also have different kind of MMU.

Can anyone provide a kernel that gets anywhere on a Duo?