Subject: Product installation path: standard /usr/local?
To: macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Coevoet Marc <mcoevoet@vub.ac.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1995 22:06:35
Hello,

I've been able to compile binutuls2.6,
gcc-2.7.2 (three stage + comparison), and see
that the TeX package won't be much harder
(the patch command now on macbsd doesn't do
what the patchfile was intended to, but that
will be no problem since I guess I can find a GNU
or newer patch or patch on another machine)

So my question is:  if these binaries are made
public, do we use the /usr/local hierarchy
(just like GNU proposes and I'm used to at
my work)?

I've seen that the current compiler resides in
such non-obvious places as libexec etc.

We *need* to decide because paths for gcc as well as
tex are hardwired in the code (yes, you can make a
list of environment variables...)

I guess all these binaries could be made public within
one week. (I do not have X libs yet to compile xdvi, put a
postcript file can be viewed with ghostview)

Technical question: 68020 as well as 68030 binaries
could be generated: would it be worth the effort?

Things like flex, bison could be upgraded too..

And last but not least: it would be an idea to delete
all of the old binaries...  (in a script provided with
the new ones ? :-/ )

Greets,
Marc
 Marc Coevoet, BFUCC                                 email: mcoevoet@vub.ac.be
 Adolphe Buyllaan 91,                                phone: ++ 32 2 650 37 07
 1050 Brussels, Belgium                              fax:   ++ 32 2 650 37 40
 http://orca.vub.ac.be/~mcoevoet