Subject: Re: serial trouble
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1995 22:18:45
>3. QUESTION
>o Is it possible to communicate with the modem via the Macintosh
>configuration cable from the NetBSD 1.1 on SE/30?
>
>                                     ---------
>                                    / 8  7  6 \
>                                   (  5  4  3  )
>                                    \  2   1  /
>                                     ---------
>                ___________________________________________________
>                |Macintosh_SE_Compatible_Pin_Assignments_(RS-422)__|
>                |Pin  | Name  | Description                        |
>                |_____|_______|____________________________________|
>                | 1   | HSKo  | Output Handshake                   |
>                | 2   | HSKi  | Input Handshake Or External Clock  |
>                | 3   | TxD-  | Transmit Data -                    |
>                | 4   | GND   | Signal Ground                      |
>                | 5   | RxD-  | Receive Data -                     |
>                | 6   | TxD+  | Transmit Data +                    |
>                | 7   | GPi   | General Purpose Input              |
>                |_8___|_RxD+__|_Receive_Data_+_____________________|
>
>o If not, should I change the cable configuration to the RS232-compatible?
>
>                                     ---------
>                                    / 8  7  6 \
>                                   (  5  4  3  )
>                                    \  2   1  /
>                                     ---------
>
>                    ___________________________________________
>                    |_______________RS-232_____________________|
>                    | Pin   | Name    | Description            |
>                    |_______|_________|________________________|
>                    |  1    | DTR     | Data Terminal Ready    |
>                    |  2    | CTS     | Clear To Send          |
>                    |  3    | TD      | Transmit Data          |
>                    |  4    | SG      | Signal Ground          |
>                    |  5    | RD      | Receive Data           |
>                    |  6    | RTS     | Request To Send        |
>                    |  7    | DCD     | Data Carrier Detect    |
>                    |__8____|_SG______|_Signal_Ground__________|
>
>Thank you for your patience.

Good question!!!
a NetBSD/mac68k on Mac II,x,cx,si still does top .7k/s as ppp-server.
(the si does 3.1k/s as ppp-client)

And then following how should the cables be connected??
~n

btw these cables work for me (sort of):

ZyXEL cable (client tested only 3.1k/s):

Color     Mac          Modem
       Male Mini-Din-8  DB-25
yellow 1 (HskO)  ---   4   (RTS)
orange 2 (HskI)  ---   5   (CTS)
green  3 (TxD-)  ---   2   (TxD)
brown  4 (GDN)   ---   7   (SigGnd)
red    5 (RxD-)  ---   3   (RxD)
blue   6 (TxD+)
pink   7 (GPi)   ---   8   (DCD)
gray   8 (RxD+)  ---   7   (SigGnd)

RTS/CTS cable (server, .7k/s):

Color     Mac          Modem
       Male Mini-Din-8  DB-25
yellow 1 (HskO)  ---   4   (RTS)
orange 2 (HskI)  ---   5   (CTS)
green  3 (TxD-)  ---   2   (TxD)
brown  4 (GDN)   ---   7   (SigGnd)
red    5 (RxD-)  ---   3   (RxD)
blue   6 (TxD+)  ---   7   (SigGnd)or(NC)
pink   7 (GPi)   ---   8   (DCD)
gray   8 (RxD+)  ---   7   (SigGnd)
                       6 -- (DSR)

                      20 -- (DTR)

and some modifications as well:

Color     Mac          Modem
       Male Mini-Din-8  DB-25
yellow 1 (HskO)  ---   4   (RTS)
orange 2 (HskI)  ---   5   (CTS)
green  3 (TxD-)  ---   2   (TxD)
brown  4 (GDN)   ---   7   (SigGnd)
red    5 (RxD-)  ---   3   (RxD)
blue   6 (TxD+)
pink   7 (GPi)   ---   8   (DCD)
gray   8 (RxD+)  ---   7   (SigGnd)
                       6 -- (DSR)

                      20 -- (DTR)

Color     Mac          Modem
       Male Mini-Din-8  DB-25
yellow 1 (HskO)  ---   4   (RTS)
orange 2 (HskI)  ---   5   (CTS)
green  3 (TxD-)  ---   2   (TxD)
brown  4 (GDN)   ---   7   (SigGnd)
red    5 (RxD-)  ---   3   (RxD)
blue   6 (TxD+)
pink   7 (GPi)   ---   8   (DCD)
gray   8 (RxD+)  ---   7   (SigGnd)

(excuse me the Mac/RS-422 namings
& shit i wished i made myself a neet breakoutbox)