Subject: Re: testing netbsd1.1 on a PB520
To: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1995 23:01:06
On Sat, 23 Dec 1995, Peter Kelm wrote:

> Hi, after getting netbsd running on a IIci some time ago I tried to
> install it on a PowerBook 520 (160megs disk, 8megs ram, 68LC040)
> This is what i got:
>
> [ preserving 89324 bytes of symbol table ]
> bootstrapping netbsd/mac68k
> faked range to byte 0x800000.
> bootstrapping the pmap systems.
> pmap bootstrapped
> panic: don't know how to relocate video!
> stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlink a6
> db>

I have tried this as well and have the following additional information:

The video relocation is unsuccessfull because bootstrap_mac68k is called
with the tc parameter set to 0 instead of a value containg the
0x80000000 bit.

this function is called from locore, where a variable macos.tc is defined,
but apparently never set to anything.

Can anyone explain what the use of (macos.)tc is ? Allen??

The actual panic is caused because videoaddr is 0x60000000 and therefore
outside of the NUBUS videorange of F9000000 to FF000000.

With more information about the use of tc, I should be able to play more
with NetBSD/Mac68k on the pB520.

regards
Erik Bertelsen