Subject: Re: Thanks for the help
To: Kirk Boston <kbosto1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1995 15:26:37
> Thanks for the help on the 32 bit problem.  Well It now boots further
> than it did... I have a new list of errors now.... (Sigh)...
>
> Well now it gets to
> Automatic boot in progress: starting system checks.
> Can't open /dev/rsd1a: Device not configured
> /dev/rsd1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
> /dev/rsd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

This sounds like you had another scsi device around when the /etc/fstab
was created in the installer.  Unfortunately, the MacOS-side utils don't
recognize disks vs. CD-ROMs vs. tapes, etc., so the /etc/fstab disk
numbers may have been derived incorrectly.

I think the partition is probably OK, but you will need to go into
single user mode and update /etc/fstab.  Watch the boot messages for
the disk on which you installed.  Note that name (sd0, sd1, sd2, etc.).
Then hit return to get into the shell, enter "fsck /dev/rsdXa" where X
is filled in appropriately.  Then "mount -u /dev/sdXa /" and "vi
/etc/fstab" to fill in the proper values.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>