Subject: Re: Thanks for the help
To: Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) <kbosto1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1995 13:33:46
On Fri, 22 Dec 1995, Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) wrote:

> /dev/rsd1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
> /dev/rsd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> Automatic file system check failed; help!
> Enter pathname of shell of RETURN for sh:
>
> then I start getting all of these errors stating that It can't start
> various daemons usually I get the Read-only file system at the end of

Your first startup will have to be in single user mode.  At the # prompt,
type "fsck" and hit return.  You've probably got a damaged free block
count in your superblock (seems to be happening on lotsa people's new
fs'es).  Just fix anything.  Then "mount -w /".  Finally, do a "fsck -f"
and fix any new problems if there are any.  If there are no new problems,
*do not* mark the filesystem clean or you'll have to reboot.  If it
*does* ask you to reboot (which it _shouldn't_, the command is "Reboot -n
now".

After doing this, you should be able to boot in multi-user mode in the
future.  For now, though, type exit to leave single-user mode.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |