Subject: Re: Newbee
To: Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) <kbosto1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@eng.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1995 07:55:43
>Well let me introduce myself before I load my questions on you all...
>
>I have been working in the computer field for 9 years 5 as a macintosh
>network specilist.  3 in army communications.  and 2 as a network
>installer...  I currently am doing all the internet work for a large
>school system.  So if you have any mac networking problems I may be able
>to help or at least willing to say duhh...
>
>I have been working on UNIX for about 8 months but that has been mostly
>on SGI's and SUN's so I hope that will be enough to keep me from going
>bald to quickly
>
>I found the netbsd about two days ago I then proceded to download all of
>the netbsd1.1 binary files (all 8 of them) I then took a 300 meg drive
>and put a new partition on it.  with 157 megs for the /root partition 24
>for the swap 4 megs for the mac os and 70 some for general use...
>
>I then mkfs for the root, general use and the other small partition that
>was created, but not on the swap...
>
>Then I installed all 8 of the binaries.
>
>After that was finished I built the /dev file using the build command
>from menu...
>
>That concluded my build...
>
>I then installed sys 6.0.7 on the mac os partition and copied boot 1.8
>installer 1.0 and mkfs to the small mac os partition...
>
>I restarted the mac and the mac os came up and I started boot 1.8 I then
>went in to options and set the scsi id to 5 and left everything else
>about the same....
>
>upon booting It goes through some checks and after it checks for the
>video board I get an error and the cute message "your hosed"  Sorry I
>didn't write down the exact error but since I am at home I can't
>replicate it bt I will post it first thing tomorrow morning...
>
>Oh yeait is installed on a ci with 12 megs of ram and a cache card and a
>focus ethernet card.  (i pulled the ethernet card and still was hosed)
>I will pull the cache card tomorrow morning and see if that helps any...
>
>So if anyone has any suggestions based on what I posted I would
>appreciate It a lot...
>
>Thanks for any input...
>
>Kirk Boston....

Well if this infact turns out to be another person who needs to use the NFS
kernals, then I'd say it looks like it is time to add this to the FAQ.
Could everyone who is using/trying to use a IIci please drop me a note and
tell me all about your machine: ram, nubus cards, cache card, does it boot
in color, what kernal and version are you using, and where did you get it,
did you have any errors booting and what they were(please be precise here,
including any text dumps if possible) and anything else you think is
relevant.  In general as much about your machine and in as much detail as
possible.  Upon reciept of a sufficient number of reponses I volunteer to
write the question and it's answer for the FAQ.

In the mean time I would suggest that anyone who has tried the regular
kernals for 1.1 and has no luck
turn on 32bit addressing (which should be on anyway for any of the kernals)
and try the following kernal
or any NFS kernal you might find at the URL below:

ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/kernels/netbsd.NFS_14.tar.gz

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page