Subject: Re: Problem with no-fpu machine?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hiroaki UEDA <ueda@micronet.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1995 13:33:37
My thanks to Francois, Ken, Francis and Peter for their input to my qestion
regarding the compile problem under non-fpu machine.

Ken Nakata wrote:
>I don't really know the source of this error (Well, I exactly know
>where it is printed in the kernel, but I mean which user program is
>the source).  Your kernel does not have FPE (floating point emulation)
>built-in, and you need either FPE or FPU.  I can't compile a kernel
>that has John's ADB driver and FPE in it, but if you get someone to
>compile one for you, I strongly suggest you replace your libm.*
>files with the ones archived in the file:

Thank you for your information.
However, I consider that I install a fpu into my LC3 at first, based on
other's comments.

Peter Kelm wrote:
>So you will have to get one installed (which should be no problem fo
>there is a fpu socket on your LC III mainboard. Get one and plug it in.

As I wrote above, I'll be looking for a fpu for my LC3 during this vacation.

Francois Pays wrote:
>Bonjour, je suppose que vous parlez francais.
>En effet, NetBSD a besoin d'un fpu pour fonctionner. En realite,
>le systeme fonctionne jusqu'a rencontrer une intruction du fpu
>ce qui cause une exception et donc un signal sur le process.
>(SIGILL : illegal instruction). Si c'est le kernel qui prend
>le signal, je pense que cela doit ce termine en 'panic' du system.
>Il y a quelqu'un qui travaille sur une emulation du fpu, mais
>cela ne semble pas avoir encore abouti.

Yes. I speak French. :)
I'm Japanese who work in France (Lyon).

# I spend this winter vacances in Japan, so I'll inform you the result
after vacances.

   ****     ueda@micronet.fr      ****
   **** GGC02450@niftyserve.or.jp ****
<<MuON : Macintosh Users' group On Network>>